Senior Estimator - 78345
Position Title: Senior Estimator
Company Conformance Statement
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
· Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
· Interact professionally with other employees, customers, and suppliers.
· Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
Employees are required to:
· Comply with all applicable safety- and health-related rules, regulations, and procedures;
· Work safely themselves and help their teammates work safely;
· Assist supervisors and managers in identifying and mitigating potentially hazardous conditions; and
· Help the organization maintain a safe and healthy workplace.
Purpose of the Position
This position will work at John C. Stennis Space Center and /or Michoud Assembly Facility in the Engineering Services Department for the SACOM contract.
The Senior Estimator has a key role in the Engineering, Preconstruction and Construction areas and is responsible for managing from inception to completion the engineering through construction process for all projects assigned to this role. This process includes but may not be limited to business development, client engagement, budget development/submission, detailed and comprehensive quantity takeoff, accurate cost evaluation, and the subcontractor/supplier bid solicitation process (subcontractor/supplier scope/qualification/cost evaluation, risk evaluation, and bid submission). The Senior Estimator is also responsible for management of assigned estimating personnel, preconstruction technology assessment/development, final approval of bids/budgets prepared by assigned personnel, management of subcontractor/supplier relations, and continual development of project estimation procedures/processes. The Senior Estimator reports to the Project Management Office (PMO) and receives report from positions including, but not limited to Estimators, Engineers, Construction Managers, and project controls personnel assigned to the project. The Senior Estimator requires a forward-thinking, progressive, dynamic leader who has excellent personnel management skills, an internal and external focus, and the desire to be promoted in a growing company. The Senior Estimator coordinates with other management and senior level positions within the company in order to share information, ensure streamlined processes across departments, and achieve the business plan of the company.
Principal Duties/Responsibilities of the Position
- Participate in evaluating, hiring, and managing of estimating staff assigned to report to this position.
- Actively assists with development, management, and implementation of Estimating training
- Uses experience, leadership skills, and knowledge of fundamental preconstruction
- Identify and appropriately mitigate risk associated with the projects assigned
- Manages the effective standardization, organization, preparation, and proper distribution/submission of preconstruction solicitations, qualification submissions, company information, and other preconstruction-related correspondence associated with projects assigned to this role, both upstream and downstream, on behalf of the company.
- Performs and/or manages the project qualification, solicitation, quantity survey, scheduling, scoping, clarifying, and pricing effort for assigned preconstruction projects resulting in well-organized, professional correspondence and reports.
- Prepares properly qualified and clarified conceptual budgets based on minimal information.
- Ensures the flow of estimate information is maintained and documented.
- Communicates and stays abreast of the latest information, both internally and externally, that affects all aspects of cost used to prepare preconstruction estimates and correspondence.
- Analyzes alternative means and methods to determine the most economic preconstruction alternative.
- Builds effective relationships with customers, design team, specialty contractors, suppliers, and user groups that reflect and support company vision, mission, and core values and meets or exceeds the customer's expectations.
- Perform turnkey estimating duties from time of project’s introduction to company to beginning of construction, including the following:
- Organize/Update/Submit prequalification data as required
- Create/maintain organized estimate files
- Establish complete understanding of project scope of work related to the request for proposal
- List comprehensive estimate with detailed line items appropriate for the scope of work of each project
- Solicit accurate pricing from qualified subcontractors/vendors/suppliers to ensure adequate competitive coverage of each estimate line item
- Organize project site visits if necessary to define scope and familiarity with the project
- Define/confirm scope of work for each subcontractor/vendor/supplier and produce written scope sheet certified by same if other documentation of scope is not completely clear
- Submit proposal in a professional manner and in timeframe and format required. Include scope of work clarifications document to clarify any relevant information not clarified in the bid documents
- Participate in meeting with project management team to prepare any successful estimates for construction
Education and Experience Requirements
· Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management, Building Construction, Building Science, or other equivalent construction program, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
· Possess at least seven (10) years employed experience in cost estimation, with at least three (3) years of service dedicated to preconstruction.
· Must be a U.S. Citizen in order to obtain required NASA badge.
· Must be able to provide a certified Birth Certificate (with state seal), Passport, or INS Citizenship documents on date of hire (candidate will be sent home if this paperwork is not provided upon arrival on date of hire).
· Must have the ability to communicate the English language, both verbally and written, in an effective manner.
· Must have, and maintain, a valid driver’s license.
Special Knowledge and Skills Required
· Ability to work the hours required to support the role of Senior Estimator
· Must be able to meet deadlines and put in the time needed to get the job done
· Effective professional oral and written communications skills
· Must possess a strong work ethics and values that are above-reproach
· Strong organizational, interpersonal skills
· Good attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies
· Possess strong mathematical and computer skills
· Proficiency with all MS Office products (Work Excel, PowerPoint)
· Ability to breakdown construction operations into a logical sequence of activities
· Ability to work in a team environment and fit in with the company culture and processes
· Ability to professionally operate in a fast-paced environment
· Walk up to six hours per day
· Walk up/down stairs frequently
· Stand up to six hours per day
· Climb ladders and scaffolding
· Wear PPE gear when required(steel toe shoes, safety glasses, hard hat, gloves)
· Tolerate extreme cold/heat for when required
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT, THE COMPANY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REVISE, CHANGE OR AMEND JOB DESCRIPTIONS FROM TIME-TO-TIME TO CORRESPOND TO DUTIES AND QUALIFICATIONS OF THE POSITION.