Estimator - 87346
Position Title: Estimator
Company Conformance Statement
In the performance of their respective tasks and duties all employees are expected to conform to the following:
· Perform quality work within deadlines with or without direct supervision.
· Interact professionally with other employees, customers, and suppliers.
· Work independently while understanding the necessity for communicating and coordinating work efforts with other employees and organizations.
Employees are required to:
· Comply with all applicable safety- and health-related rules, regulations, and procedures;
· Work safely themselves and help their teammates work safely;
· Assist supervisors and managers in identifying and mitigating potentially hazardous conditions; and
· Help the organization maintain a safe and healthy workplace.
Purpose of the Position
This position will work at John C. Stennis Space Center and /or Michoud Assembly Facility in the Engineering Services Department for the SACOM contract.
The Estimator has a key role in the Engineering, Preconstruction and Construction areas and is responsible for managing from inception to completion the engineering through construction process for all projects assigned to this role. This process includes but may not be limited to business development, client engagement, budget development/submission, detailed and comprehensive quantity takeoff, accurate cost evaluation, and the subcontractor/supplier bid solicitation process (subcontractor/supplier scope/qualification/cost evaluation, risk evaluation, and bid submission). The Estimator reports to the Project Management Office (PMO) and communicates with the project team including, but not limited to, Estimators, Engineers, Construction Managers, and project controls personnel.
Principal Duties/Responsibilities of the Position
- Establish the estimating scope of work, prepare estimate methodology and bases of estimate as well as produce an overall estimate activity schedule identifying all deliverables and interfaces with other disciplines
- Coordinate and monitor input from engineering groups, discipline lead engineers, procurement and contracts to ensure a timely completion
- Establish the key parameters associated with the overall quality and accuracy of the estimate such as: equipment and material pricing guidelines, material take-off and other allowances, escalation philosophy, and site location (labor productivity) factors
- Identify risk items and assign risk levels to portions of the work. Identify measures to mitigate risks
- Conduct detailed analysis and benchmarking against similar completed projects.
- Produce comprehensive estimate review package for management review
- Assist the proposal Project Manager with internal estimate review presentations
- Prepare detailed bottoms up construction indirect estimate based on the construction execution plan
- Obtain, review and compile subcontractor bids
- Verify subcontractor pricing for accuracy and content
- Review self-perform contracts and establish wage rates and productivity factors
- Determine escalation values.
- Conduct risk assessments to determine contingency value and values for event driven risks
- Participate in and coordinate the turnover of information to the project team to establish the Baseline Budget
- Support the site construction management organization with regards to check estimates, trend and change order estimates, and forecasting as required
- Set up and maintain historical records for completed construction projects such as reconciliation of final project actual to bid estimate, Self-perform productivity, Sub-contract unit rates, Sub-contract contract growth
Education and Experience Requirements
- Bachelor or Associates Degree in Engineering, Construction Management or Business preferred
- 5+ years Estimating experience on engineering, EPC, and construction-only projects
· Must be a U.S. Citizen in order to obtain required NASA badge.
· Must be able to provide a certified Birth Certificate (with state seal), Passport, or INS Citizenship documents on date of hire (candidate will be sent home if this paperwork is not provided upon arrival on date of hire).
· Must have the ability to communicate the English language, both verbally and written, in an effective manner.
· Must have, and maintain, a valid driver’s license.
Special Knowledge and Skills Required
· Must be able to meet deadlines and put in the time needed to get the job done
· Effective professional oral and written communications skills
· Must possess a strong work ethics and values that are above-reproach
· Strong organizational, interpersonal skills
· Good attention to detail with the ability to recognize discrepancies
· Possess strong mathematical and computer skills
· Proficiency with all MS Office products (Work Excel, PowerPoint)
· Ability to breakdown construction operations into a logical sequence of activities
· Ability to work in a team environment and fit in with the company culture and processes
· Ability to professionally operate in a fast-paced environment
· Walk up to six hours per day
· Walk up/down stairs frequently
· Stand up to six hours per day
· Climb ladders and scaffolding
· Wear PPE gear when required(steel toe shoes, safety glasses, hard hat, gloves)
· Tolerate extreme cold/heat for when required
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS OF THE COLLECTIVE BARGAINING AGREEMENT, THE COMPANY RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REVISE, CHANGE OR AMEND JOB DESCRIPTIONS FROM TIME-TO-TIME TO CORRESPOND TO DUTIES AND QUALIFICATIONS OF THE POSITION.