Safety Engineer - 87708
Purpose of the Position
• Develops accident prevention policies and programs, as well as training and implementation of those programs. Manages post-accident investigations in accordance with regulatory agencies.
Principal Duties/Responsibilities of the Position
• Provide Safety, Health and Environmental (SHE) program support assuring compliance with SHE policies, requirements, and controls to include performing surveillance of users/tenants, other NASA contractors, and visitors.
• Assess facilities and operations to identify hazardous conditions and control methods to minimize the level of risk directly or indirectly related to performing an operation or operating a facility; and ensures the residual risks identified during the assessment are accepted by the appropriate level of management based on the overall level of risk classification assigned the facility or operation prior to the actual startup or restart of the facility or operation.
• Perform and evaluate hazard analyses and safety assessments and review hazardous operation procedures for potentially hazardous operations and provide feedback to the Government as requested.
• Participate in Operational Readiness Assessments (ORA), Test Readiness Reviews (TRR), Production Readiness Reviews (PRR) and other similar safety reviews to include those performed by users/tenants and other NASA contractors to assess and evaluate the safety of potentially hazardous facilities and operations, and provide feedback to the Government as requested.
• Researches safety regulations and informs senior management of changes. Implements actions to maintain compliance.
• Manages injury review process to determine and correct root cause. Performs job hazard analyses, system auditing and ergonomic task analysis to ensure safe working conditions.
• Manages special safety assignments and projects to ensure adherence to safety regulations and to determine needs for updating safety codes. Makes and implements safety policies and procedures as appropriate.
• Formulates, implements and maintains policies, programs and techniques necessary to achieve company goals and regulatory requirements including record retention.
• Ensures that corrective measures and risks meet acceptable safety standards for human interaction.
• Analyzes planning documents and develops safety engineering approach to meet customer, NASA, and other applicable requirements.
• Analyzes systems to identify and eliminate safety hazards, integrated hazards analysis, the systematic application of safety policies to the design of NASA Flight hardware, and assistance in the overall implementation of safety practices for systems/subsystems
Education and Experience Requirements
• Bachelor's degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
• Bachelor's degree in safety and health or related field preferred
• Four or more years of safety management experience
• Experience working with current federal, state and company safety regulations and policies
• Must be a U.S. Citizen in order to obtain required NASA badge.
• Must be able to provide a certified Birth Certificate (with state seal), Passport, or INS Citizenship documents on date of hire (candidate will be sent home if this paperwork is not provided upon arrival on date of hire).
• Must have the ability to communicate the English language, both verbally and written, in an effective manner.
• Must have, and maintain, a valid driver’s license.
Special Knowledge and Skills Required
• Good organizational and planning skills
• Good Communication skills
• Ability to pay close attention to detail
• Ability to take direction
• Ability to operate and service various rotating equipment
• Ability to work with computers
• Ability to work independently but follow specific detailed instructions
• Ability to interface with various levels of personnel in a multi-cultural, team- oriented environment
• Must be able to lift and carry up to 45 lbs.
• Dexterity to operate office and field equipment as required by the position.
• Prior knowledge of NASA site, experienced with working on government installations preferred.
• Experience and understanding of complex Fault Tree Analysis (FTA) and Hazard Assessments (HAs) is highly desirable.
• Construction Safety and Marine safety experience is a plus but not required.